Thursday 16 June 2016

Solitude can be a gift...

I came to this conclusion after I discovered how much I could maximize silence. Make no mistake though, sometimes silence can be deafening. Honestly, as we grow especially during our teen years, we get so busy. We get busy with school, church, family, community, social media, television and all that life has to offer. It would seem like we can't break away from all the responsibilities that call us especially mum's voice calling us to do very annoying chores. Did I hear an amen?

However, we get so wrapped up in all these that when there is a time when we are by ourselves, all alone, we get uncomfortable. For some of us we have tied our lives to all these things that a bit of quiet can be terrifying. When there isn't school, chores, games or even when internet connection is not available, we feel the world has ended. We are used to being occupied. It is not all together a bad thing besides, the idle mind is the devil's workshop they say.

I had to understand pretty early in life that silence can be a gift if you maximize it well. I once listened to someone who called it the gift of solitude. It was during those times when I was not on my phone chatting with friends, not running errands, not busy with so much church stuff that I began to discover who I really was. It offered me time to think through a lot of things like my future plans, my decisions and believe me those were the times I had very brilliant ideas about what I wanted to do.

Cherish every time you get t be by yourself.
A lot of people ask questions like "What am I born to do? How can I make an impact in the world?" These are really deep questions that demands a get away time to figure them out. Not only do we get to think during these hours of solitude but we get to pray also. Jesus had to get away from all the noise once in a while to commune with His father. In the same way, God wants to communicate with us and give us brilliant ideas for the future if only we would learn to be still, to be quiet.

Cherish every time you get to be by yourself. Get acquainted with your self and with God. Remember there is a balance to it all. Do what you have to do (I mean responsibilities) but always carve out time to be by yourself. You will be amazed that you can also enjoy your own company besides God is the greatest company you can have during those quiet moments. Ask Adam and Eve...

No comments:

Post a Comment