Wednesday 15 June 2016

Wait a minute!

I remember when I was in my early teens I wanted to grow up so fast. I enjoyed watching my big cousins use makeup and wear fancy clothes. I really wanted to be an adult and fast too. My mum was just the problem. I could not even use a lip gloss except during dry seasons. I could not do certain hairstyles or wear certain clothes because my mum was just not going to allow it. Tiring isn't it? I was a big girl and deserved some independence and I would sulk and whine but my mum would just not give in.

Have you been in my shoes? I bet you have. Even as a guy, you want to cut your hair in a certain style and dress in a certain way that shows your big boy status and it is irritating when your parents breathe down your neck. "I need a break!" I hear you loud and clear brother! I understand you sister! But, wait a minute!

I am an adult now and I have had to look back and I am grateful that my parents did all they could to make sure I waited a little longer to experience the freedom that I wanted. One reason is that there is plenty of time to do all that hairstyle and use all that make up. It is important you enjoy your innocence and grow into maturity. When you arrive at that point, you are able to use freedom wisely. Rushing into things has never had the best results. Things that are good usually take time. You should use your teen years to discover who you are and begin to form basic principles for yourself that will guide your adult life.

Take your sweet time because adulthood will come and guess what, when you get there, there are times you would wish you didn't have all the responsibilities that comes with it. Enjoy the time you have with your family now because adulthood sometimes separates us from home. Enjoy your natural hair now 'cos a time will come, you will get tired of maintaining artificial hair because they are so expensive. As a young man, allow yourself grow. Focus your energy on things that really matter such as academics, family and God. Allow yourself be formed. That is what our parents are trying to do. Truth is, their methods may not always be the best but their hearts are right. Enjoy where you are even though you are moving to where you want to be.

Just Wait a Minute! For everything there is a season... Ecc 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment